1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. finely chopped rosemary
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2¼ cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add butter, ½ cup sugar, the rosemary, salt, and vanilla to a bowl. Slowly mix together ingredients with a spatula or spoon until butter has softened a little. Add flour. Using floured hands, knead until buttery crumbs form, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Form dough into a ball, then transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Roll into a 5×10-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into squares or cut with cookie cutters.
4. Chill the cut out dough for at least 10 minutes. This prevents the cookies from spreading too much.
5. Bake until bottoms are just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes. The tops will still be blonde. Allow to cool 10 minutes on baking sheet.