Some people are unsure how to cook quinoa. It is as easy as cooking a pan of rice, but much healthier. It is also naturally gluten free.
Sweet Potato and Mushroom Quinoa
• 1/3 cup quinoa
• 1 cup water
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 small sweet onion, chopped
• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
• 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Saute the quinoa in a saucepan over medium heat until it begins to take on a toasty aroma, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the water, and add pinch of salt.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
5. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. 6. Add the mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and cayenne pepper.
7. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the sweet potato is soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Pour a splash of water into the skillet if needed to keep the vegetables from burning.
9. Spoon the vegetable mixture over a bed of quinoa to serve